Sunday, October 25, 2009

Baking in the apartment...

With the weather getting a touch colder (mid 70s...it feels a lot colder around everyone else in heavy fur coats) here in St. George, I decided to keep up the Kienlen tradition and bake. So far I have tried to make use of what is available in our apartment which includes banana bread from the neglected bananas and a box brownie mix that has been on the shelf for a couple weeks.

Last week, my two roommates - Shiulina and Katie - were out and about during our fall break and we decided to pay a visit to my good ol' Uncle Ed. Of course, they loaded us full of canned and fresh apples and a squash that they salvaged from Wyoming along with an hour of advice on how to live our lives. Since Wyoming is not known for juicy red delicious apples, the grocery bag full of crab apples didn't get touched by any of the five girls in #6. I decided to make an apple crisp, and as I'm typing this very entry, the smell of warm cinnamon, brown sugar, and apples is filling up our apartment.

It's amazing how fast boys from the dorms come over when you tell them you have apple crisp and vanilla ice cream. Good times in #6!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are keeping the tradition of baking alive! Though those weren't crab apples just small ones of some good variety (they did come from Wy hence the shorter growing season!)

I should get you a "bakelove" shirt!

Erin said...

yum.... i can smell it from here! Just made it to the 30 day mark!!!

Kelli said...

I'm so jealous you have a kitchen and supplies! I hope it was delicious!